Friday, September 16, 2011

The Right Attitude in Tough Times

When things around me get out of control, I am one of those people who will try to find something I can control. If I have the yard torn up doing a project and I feel like I'll never get it done, I'll plant one thing just to feel like I've accomplished something.

To a lot of people, life feels very out of control right now. The economy, two wars, political systems that seem ineffective in addressing major issues, major challenges facing school systems and communities can all leave us feeling overwhelmed.

The apostle Paul wrote a letter to a group of Christians in a city called Philippi nearly 2000 years ago that has tremendous relevance for us today. Sitting in a Roman prison, Paul had lost a lot of control. What he did still have control over however, was his own attitude. The entire letter of Philippians emphasizes the believer's opportunity to choose how they will respond to difficult circumstances.

Listen to these words:


4 Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5 Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus, (Philippians 4:4–7 NIV84)

Four responses we CAN choose when life around us is crazy and out of control are nestled in this text.

Rejoice in the Lord. Let's face it, life can dish out some pretty unpleasant situations. An unwanted divorce, unexpected job loss, the death of a child, an ailing parent can all catch us off guard and leave us feeling pretty rotten. When tough times happen, Paul reminds us twice, take time to be joyful about what you have in Christ - no one can ever take it away from you. There is a reality that is more real than what we see, feel, and hear. The activity of God in the spiritual dimension of our lives can't be touched by an economic downturn.

Be gentle. When times are tough, people tend to get a little ouchy with each other. Tough times are a great time to extend a little extra grace to people. The message of Jesus on this is pretty clear: people aren't always going to like you, love them anyway. People are going to try to take advantage of you, shock them with love by giving them more than they asked for. People are going to be selfish and make life difficult for you because you follow Christ, pray for them. When times are tough, everyone needs a smile, an open door, an extra hand, a response that isn't snippy or snotty. It's a good time to be a little kinder with each other - especially in our families!

Don't be anxious. When I think of anxious, I think of my dog Reilly. Anytime we are getting ready to go on vacation she goes nuts. Have you ever seen a dog that is anxious? They can't sit still. They pace, pant, and piddle. They know something is up, they just aren't sure what. People are not a whole lot different. We know something is up in the world around us. We can feel it. We sense it. We know that for many folks, life as we have known it for a long time is changing. What do we do? We pace around the rooms of our minds until we are exhausted. Paul says, stop being that way. It's one thing to be genuinely concerned. It is an entirely different thing to be consumed with the "what if's." Paul give us something far more effective than anxiety for tough times.

Pray with a thankful heart. I can't do much of anything about most of what I worry about, but God can. I am often powerless; God is all-powerful. I am often short on ideas; God knows everything. I can only be at in one place at a time; God is everywhere. When I think about the circumstances God has brought me and my family through, it gives me great confidence to come to him and ask him to meet the needs and challenges of my life. Thankfulness changes the way I talk to God about my life. Thankfulness turns hesitancy into confidence. Thankfulness turns whining into a request. Thankfulness turns doubt into anticipation.

When your world confronts you with uncontrollable circumstances, remember you are not powerless. The one thing you always have control over is you. What you do with that control is instrumental in the quality of life you experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for posting! All comments are reviewed before publishing them to the blog. Come back soon and bring someone with you.

A Work of the Heart

A Work of the Heart
Jeremiah 18:6